Monday 5 March 2012

I haven't started pruning yet (this will be year 2 for the vines) I'll wait until the end of the month to prune both here in my vineyard and at the vineyard where I work. This has been an unusually mild winter just about everywhere and when you're growing viniferas, especially in Nova Scotia it is always best to wait until April to prune (or at least the last week of March) by that time the weather is getting a little more 'stable'. (sort of) While we're pruning we leave lots of spare parts like kicker canes (extra canes) and renewal spurs just in case we get a late frost, which seems to like to come in early to mid May, when it does (like it did on May 12/2010) it does a lot of damage.


Last year 2011 was wet and cool just like everywhere else from New York to California and from Nova Scotia to British Columbia. In spite of this we had a great crop of Chardonnay that hung on late (due to the cool weather).


The total rainfall here at the farm was 1000.75mm from April to December 2011 


I will add another pic from the vineyard here at the farm taken Nov29/11

Chardonnay 95 on SO4 on the right in row 1 
Chardonnay 548 on SO4 on the left in row 2

        

5 comments:

  1. So far, I like your blog. Vineyard looking good. The photo below shows how much snow you got today. We got some too.

    Nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nina, I was looking for pics that would show the progress this past year without too many pics. I went out to the vineyard yesterday morning and saw the mnt. so I ran back to the house to get the camera to grab the pic, good thing too the snow was gone about 2 hours later.

      Delete
  2. Oh boy!! Nice to see the blog up :)
    This will be a great way to follow progress.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I deleted my comment because there was a typo :)
      So, I'll try again,

      Yes, it is nice to have the blog up and running[ now all I have to do is figure out how to fix typos after the fact(after they've been posted) without having to delete the comment]

      There will be more to write later once I get back to work but for now, I'll use the time to find my way.

      Delete